But what is EcoCert? What do they do and why is it so important?
Ecocert was established in France in 1991 as an inspection and certification body specializing in organic agricultural products. They have since expanded to cover certification of other eco and fair trade products, including organic and natural cosmetics.
Ecocert certification is recognized world-wide, currently certifying in over 80 countries. Their standards require the use of substantial amounts of natural and organic ingredients, produced with environmentally-friendly processes, and prohibits the use of many synthetic ingredients.
The two Ecocert certifications of cosmetics are ECOCERT Natural and ECOCERT Natural and Organic.
- Natural= A minimum of 50% of all plant-based ingredients and a minimum of 5% of all ingredients by weight must be organically produced.
- Natural and Organic= A minimum of 95% of the total product ingredients must be naturally derived and a minimum of 10% of all ingredients by weight (includes water) must be organically produced.
100% of ingredients used must comply with Ecocert standards, 95% of the total ingredients must be naturally derived and a product can contain no more than 5% synthetic ingredients. No GMO, parabens, phenoxyethanol, nanoparticles, silicon, PEG, synthetic perfumes and dyes, animal-derived ingredients (unless naturally produced by them: milk, honey, etc.) are to be used. All packaging must be biodegradable or recyclable.
The basic principles of the EcoCert standard are as follows:
To ensure an environmentally friendly cosmetic product, the EcoCert standard involves:
- The use of ingredients derived from renewable resources, manufactured by environmentally friendly processes.
- The absence of GMO, parabens, phenoxyethanol, silicon, PEG, synthetic perfumes and dyes, and animal-derived ingredients (unless naturally produced, such as milk, honey, etc.).
- The biodegradable or recyclable nature of packaging.
- A minimum threshold of natural ingredients from organic farming must be reached to obtain certification.
- For the natural and organic cosmetic label: EcoCert insists that a minimum of 95% of the total ingredients come from natural origin, and a minimum of 10% of all ingredients by weight must come from organic farming.
- For the natural cosmetic label: a minimum of 50% of all plant-based ingredients in the formula, and a minimum of 5% of all ingredients by weight must come from organic farming.
- An onsite audit is performed once a year by an EcoCert auditor.
Sadatan Ayurveda Pvt. Ltd., is dedicated with the rules of EcoCert to producing and distributing the most responsible and environmentally friendly products possible.
Why Use Natural Beauty Products:
- Earth-friendly:Products made from conventionally produced ingredients can have a negative environmental impact. The manufacturing of chemical-heavy health and beauty products puts those chemicals, and many more, into the air and water, and even more go down your drain in your own home. When ingredients for natural health and beauty products are farmed and manufactured organically, fewer chemicals are put into the air and water.
- Avoid irritation:Chemicals, artificial colors, and fillers in skin care products and makeup can cause redness, irritation, and breakouts. Many people are even allergic to chemicals commonly found in conventionally produced products. Natural makeup, skin care products, and body products work with your skin instead of against it.
- Save your nose:Artificial fragrances are designed to cover up the smell of other chemicals used in traditional health and beauty products. The effect is that you have a chemical to cover up another chemical, and all those chemical smells can cause headaches in many people. Natural health and beauty products smell like their natural ingredients, not a cocktail of chemicals. Natural health and beauty products scented with natural essential oils can even provide aromatherapy.
- No strange side effects: Parabens are used in conventionally produced health and beauty products as a preservative to extend the shelf life of products. Parabens, however, are synthetic and mimic your body’s natural hormones. Many people worry that this can alter the functions of your body’s endocrine system. Artificial ingredients like parabens may help a product do one thing well, but there could be possible side effects that are still being uncovered. Natural health and beauty products use natural preservatives, such as grapefruit seed extract, that won’t affect your body. And while some people have allergies to a few natural ingredients (lanolin, which comes from wool, is an allergen for some) the effects are much more understood than the ones from synthetic ingredients.
- Gentler over time:Many natural products work better than their conventional counterparts because they don’t contain unnecessary fillers or irritants. And while some unnatural products may seem to work better with the first try, over the long-term, the harmful chemicals that made your skin feel cleaner or your hair feel smoother may actually cause damage.
For further information please see their website